With the revolution of the digital era and globalization, there have been great transformations and changes in society. The technological influence has been such that our everyday activities were influenced at a social, productive and economic level, making more easier the way we live.
The digital era offers a new perspective of opportunities that we should take advantage of, especially using how we exchange and receive information. And it turns out that technology has enabled us to stay connected with people around the world, regardless of where we are, anytime. We are talking about video conferencing.
At this point, traditional conference rooms have evolved to what we know as Zoom Rooms, a new technology where meetings are started by only clicking on a tablet. And we need to talk in detail about Zoom Rooms and all their characteristics.
But, what is a Zoom Room?
We cannot explain what a Zoom Room is without mentioning Zoom, an in the cloud video and audio conferencing platform used for companies, universities, groups, and professionals who want to hold a meeting regardless of the distance and time. Zoom provides different types of technological features, but one of its core services is Zoom Rooms.
Zoom Room is a software dedicated for conference hosting with an easy to use platform controlled from a tablet, integrating audio, video and wireless content sharing to any size of the conference room. Through Zoom Rooms, participants can be connected remotely from a desktop, mobile device, and H.323/SIP systems, which provides more flexibility for the meeting purposes and each participant needs.
The essential equipment for Zoom Rooms is a Mac mini (i5/i7) or Windows 10 computer, capable to run without any problem the Zoom Rooms software, and a tablet installed with the Zoom Rooms app; it can be an iPad or an Android. It also combines hardware technology that will vary according to our conference goals, such as cameras, speakers, microphones, tablet, and TV displays.
Main benefitsOne tap – Holding a meeting in one touch is all we desire. Zoom Rooms allow us to control different features, such as:
- Start or join a meeting
- Mute or unmute the meeting’s microphone
- Invite participants via contact, email, telephone, or room system
- Start or stop the meeting’s video camera
- Share content through our mobile device or laptop
- Manage the meeting participants by removing them, making them host or co-host, and controlling other features: start/stop their video, mute/unmute everyone, allow them to record, etc.
- Change our camera’s layout; where we can select between viewing only the video of the active speaker, display in thumbnails the video of other participants while focusing on the dynamic speaker, or show a grid panorama of each attendee.
- Control camera and room settings
- Record the video conference to the cloud
- Adjust the volume
- Ask for help to the host by tapping “Raise Hand” (only available for invited participants)
No more extra cables – Zoom Rooms have left behind the use of extra cables and adaptors that are visually distracting for our conference room. It also reduces the costs of maintenance due to less equipment.
Schedule meetings – We can schedule a meeting form our Google Calendar. This option will book us a specific room and time, notifying other users that the room is unavailable at that moment.
Many participants - Zoom Rooms are suitable for meetings with a large number of participants, giving us the possibility to host a meeting with up to 200 participants. That is perfect for big companies that want to start a conference or training for their employees.
Breakout Rooms - Zoom Rooms enable the option to breakout rooms where participants can be moved from a large meeting group into smaller sessions. That can only be done by the host, who can either assign each participant manually to a certain session or leave it to the system automatic assignment.
Mobile-friendly – As we said before, Zoom Rooms offer the option to share and display content from iOS and Android devices through the app. People who usually use their smartphones for work purposes can share their screen to all participants, including images, documents, files stored in local and cloud services, etc.
Visualization – We can install up to three high-definition screens for our conference room, displaying in one screen all the participants or the active speaker, and in another the presentation or any kind of file exposed.
At Vivo-Comm, our main objective is to provide the ideal technology solution for our clients. We facilitate the necessary elements to empower your business or professional activity. That’s why we created VizoRooms.
What exactly is a VizoRoom?
It is a simple and versatile solution customized with hardware devices to match your Zoom Room experience perfectly; depending on the goals of that meeting space. VizoRoom components are ready to use. Everything you will need is packaged in one box with some essential steps to follow on the outside of it. It is as easy as:
- Unpackage the components.
- Power on your Mac or PC computer. Then, connect each device to the internet.
- Log into your Zoom Room account in your computer and tablet or create one if you haven’t done it yet.
- Plug the required cables and devices (TV displays, PC/Mac, camera and speakers).
- And start running the preconfigured software thanks to our Plug N Play experience.
Which are the components of VizoRoom?
At Vivo-Comm we manage three packages of VizoRooms solutions.
Created for small meeting spaces with less than 5 participants who are looking for a private area to collaborate and connect with others easily, facilitate brainstorming, and minimize noise. We offer different components:
Software and pre-configured Codec
- Mac mini (i5 or i7)
- Dell OptiPlex 7050 (i5 and 8GB RAM)
- Logitech Brio
- Logitech Webcam C930E
- Logitech ConferenceCam Connect
- Logitech Meetup
- AVer VC320
- AVer CAM340
- Meeting Owl 360 Conference Cam
- Polycom VoxBox
- Jabra Speak 710
- Jabra Speak 510
- REvolabs FLX UC 500 – Black
- iPad mini
Each bundle comes with a wall mount, a Heckler Design Meeting Room Console for the iPad mini, the necessary cables, a mouse and a keyboard for the initial setup.
Designed for executive and corporate meetings with less than 15 participants who want professional-grade solutions in camera tracking automation, and microphone/audio improvements. These are the components:
Software and pre-configured Codec
- Mac mini (i5 or i7)
- Dell Optiplex
- Polycom EagleEye Director II
- Polycom EagleEye Producer
- Phoenix Audio Smart Spider - Black
- Revolabs FLX UC 1500
- Polycom Trio 8500
- Polycom Trio 8800
Each bundle comes with the necessary cables, a mouse and a keyboard for the initial setup.
Recommended for any conference room, for small to large groups who want a reliable and stable in the cloud connection. It includes the next components:
Software and pre-configured Codec
- Mac mini (i5 or i7)
- Dell Optiplex
- Aver VC520
- Logitech GROUP HD Video and Audio Conferencing System
- Logitech GROUP HD Video and Audio Conferencing System with
- Expansion Mics
- Logitech MeetUp
- Logitech PTZ Pro2
- VC520 All-in-One 12x conference and speakerphone system
- Phoenix Audio Smart Spider - Black
- Revolabs FLX UC 500 - Black
- Revolabs FLX UC 1500
Zoom Room experience
With Zoom Rooms’ face to face interaction, there is a more effective understanding between participants. This means that we are more likely to be attentive listeners, focusing on the issues that are being explained, discussed or outlined thanks to visual and audio support.
In a globalized era, it is essential to connect with people from all over the world, and Zoom Rooms are ideal for businesses and academic institutes.
Let’s see in which circumstances this software benefits users.
Nowadays, companies use Zoom Rooms to strengthen their corporate communications by achieving strong collaborative relations between partners, employees, and clients. Just imagine that a CEO who lives in New York needs to contact his supplier in China and, instead of traveling to this country, he decides to have a face-to-face meeting with him via Zoom Room.
By incorporating this technology into a business, it will allow us to maintain a high-quality communication with international partners, accelerate the decision making, increase productivity, and save money of expensive business trips, which are usually dedicated to contact clients personally.
Moreover, many companies use Zoom Rooms to increase their sales in distant places, link their regional offices with the matrix, review a contract with a customer that is in another city, discuss launching a new product in the market, or making meetings with employees.
Also, as technology has introduced some new flexible and mobile work models (i.e., home office or freelancers), Zoom Rooms provide optimal conditions for employees and professionals who must perform their activities from external places, such as their homes, another country, etc. So, they can
feel more connected and involved with the organization.
In research and education
Some international science or medicine congresses use Zoom Rooms video conferencing technology as a way of professional expansion by streaming their content to researchers, doctors, and scientists who couldn’t travel to that space.
Furthermore, Zoom Rooms allow them to work together for research and medicine purposes, joining forces and sharing their knowledge for bigger benefits.
The same happens with students and professors. For undergraduate students coursing a Bachelor of Medicine, Zoom Rooms can connect them with researchers or experts from different countries to establish meetings, lectures, tutorials, courses, and exchange information on educational projects, for example, in a thesis. This means that students will no longer have to renounce learning from the best professors out there.
Since it could open many possibilities for the improvement in the quality of higher education teaching, educational boundaries will dissipate with the collaboration among teachers and students; starting a new cycle of limitless knowledge and skills that can be used for the good of education.
Workspace Value-Added Solutions
Zoom Rooms includes value-added services that help you end scheduling headaches for good and also utilize any display for office-wide digital signage. With just a single Zoom Rooms license, you can deploy unlimited Scheduling Displays and Digital Signage across your whole organization, at
no additional cost.
- Schedule and manage corporate communications, internal marketing, and more across multiple offices and departments
- Manage displays at scale or individually decide what content to display through the Zoom Admin Portal
- Leverage any display (in and out of the conference room) and share images, videos, or websites
- Easily see room availability and book ad-hoc meetings for any available time of that day
- Optional setting for automatic room release if not checked in to—for optimal room utilization
- Integrates with Office 365, Outlook, and Google Calendar for effortless resource scheduling
How to Set up a Zoom Room?
Before starting with the setup, it is necessary to review the hardware requirements for our next generation conference room.
- Mac or PC computer
- Large-screen television
- Tablet as a touch controller
- Mouse and keyboard for initial deployment
- One HDMI adapter and one internet cable
Step by Step
1. Connect the hardware components
Once we have all the required hardware:
- Connect the TV to the Mac mini or PC computer by using the HDMI cable / Thunderbolt port.
- Choose the ethernet cable and connect the Mac mini/PC to the network port.
- Connect the camera and speakers to the USB ports.
Our hardware advice:
As experts in integrating Zoom Rooms to meeting spaces through our packages, we recommend the use of Mac OS 10.9 or higher for better user experience.
- Mac mini with Intel Core i5 / 3.0 GHz Turbo Boost / 8GB 2666MHz DDR4. Ideal for a single screen.
- Mac mini with 8th generation Intel Core i7 / 3.2 GHz 6-core / 16GB 2666MHz DDR4. Ideal for a dual and triple screen.
- Mac Pro Xeon Tower with Intel Xeon E5 / 3.7GHz / quad-core / 10MB of L3 cache / 12GB (3X4GB) / 1866MHz DDR3 SDRAM - ECC. Ideal for triple screen.
However, for PC lovers we suggest using Windows 7 or higher.
- Dell OptiPlex 7050 with Intel Core i5-7500 Processor / 8GB / 1TB / DDR4-SDRAM / Windows 10 Pro. Ideal for a single screen.
- Dell OptiPlex 7050 with Intel Core i7-7700 Processor / 8GB / 1TB / DDR4-SDRAM / Windows 10 Pro. Ideal for dual and triple screen.
Two great options for HDTV monitor are.
- LG 55” 4K LED-LCD with an enhanced refresh rate of 120 Hz and a resolution of 2160p.
- LG 65” 4K LED-LCD with ULTRA HD quality and a refresh rate of 120 Hz.
For the camera, we have two choices.
Logitech Brio, which has a superior video quality level with HDR system, 4K image sensor, premium glass lens, zoom 5x digital in Full HD, and autofocus.
The details displayed are clear, and the colors look balanced and accurate in both natural and artificial light environments. Its multiple USB connection types are ideal for any laptop, Mac or PC.
Polycom EagleEye Director II automatically makes a close-up to participants without using a remote control, eliminating any kind of interruption during the interaction. It also integrates seven microphones for a professional camera/soundtracking, which immediately zooms to the active speaker and directs the speaker to the user, creating an immersive visual and sound experience.
And for speakers we selected.
- Phoenix Audio Smart Spider speakerphone cancels echo and external noise with a large broadcasting range.
2. Turn on hardware and pair accessories
After having connected the hardware, now it is time to:
- Turn on the Mac mini/PC computer and start the pairing process of the mouse and keyboard via Bluetooth.
- Turn on the iPad touch and connect directly to the Wi-Fi network.
Our controller advice:
- Apple Tablet (e.g., iPad, iPad Mini or iPad Pro) an iOS of 8.0 or higher.
- Android Tablet (e.g., Samsung Galaxy Tab S) an OS of 4.0 or higher with 8.0-inch screen size.
- Polycom Trio 8800 or 8500.
3. Begin the configuration process
One of the most important steps is to configure our hardware devices into kiosk mode. By setting up this mode to our Mac mini/PC computer and iPad, we can prevent users from changing the initial settings of our conference room or using another kind of applications that are not related to our Zoom Room experience.
But first, we just need to make sure that all the updates for the Mac/PC computer and iPad are updated. If not, we must download and install them before going to the next step.
Configuring kiosk mode in Windows
To enable automatic login:
- In the Windows search box, usually located at the bottom of our screen and on the taskbar, type in the word “run” and press enter to search.
- Then, in the small window that popped up, type “control userpasswords2” and hit enter.
- And in the new window, uncheck the option “Users must enter a username and password to use this computer."
Configuring kiosk mode in Mac mini
To enable automatic login:
- On the top right of your screen, locate the Spotlight Search.
- Find and select the “Security & Privacy” preferences.
- In the opened window and on the “General” preferences, uncheck the options "Require password" and “Disable automatic login."
- These options will activate a new dialog box that requests to enter the admin password. At this step, we will have to change the password for that account; just follow the instructions.
Now, we only have to configure our iPad into kiosk mode with the steps mentioned on this link.
4. Set-up process of Zoom Room software
To start using our Zoom Room software, we need to create an account on the Zoom platform; selecting between different subscription-based plans. We can use the basic mode (30-day free trial), but it has some restrictions on the number of participants and session time. For this reason, some businesses prefer the payment plans that best suit their needs.
After signing-up into Zoom, the next steps are:
- Download and install the “Zoom Rooms for Conference Room” application on the Mac/PC computer, and the “Controllers for Zoom Rooms” app for iPad, Windows or Android Tablet Touch.
- Open the downloaded software and follow the instructions to install and complete the process.
- During the setup, we can change some settings preferences depending on our needs.
5. Testing and support
Once we have finished with the setup, it is recommended to test our Zoom Room before having a real meeting. This will assure us if everything was correctly installed and deployed. If you encounter some problems following the steps, or with hardware or software, just contact us.
Vivo-Comm experts will support you for a full year in case of requiring additional assistance by providing our remote services in setting up and training. We also support in sending the hardware replacement parts when you need them by packaging the defective component and send it back to us.
6. Enjoy Zoom Room through VizoRoom
Now, it is time to enjoy all the benefits of Zoom Rooms, the next generation of video meetings.
Our advice: For an ideal Zoom Room experience, it is recommended to check the conference room lighting and adjust it to create the right atmosphere. But, what happens with natural lightning? Well. We should avoid sources that can reflect the light directly to our camera or participants, which can disturb their proper concentration.
- For single screen - 2.0 Mbps up and down
- For dual screen - 2.0 Mbps up 4.0 Mbps down
- For triple screen - 2.0 Mbps up 6.0 Mbps down
- For screen sharing – 150 to 300kbps
- For audio VoIP – 60 to 80kbps
The versatility of Zoom Rooms
Due to the versatility of Zoom Rooms’ in the cloud-based system, it can provide us more benefits than we think.
If we have an existing H.323 / SIP room system in our business, such as Cisco, Lifesize, Polycom or Tandberg, with Zoom Room we can integrate these video conferencing endpoints into the cloud. Zoom easily connects with traditional H.323 / SIP rooms, allowing us to schedule, start, and join meetings from this hardware.
Additionally, Zoom enables the integration with other platforms and interfaces that are generally used by employees and teams for task management, allowing users to launch video conferences and calls directly with Zoom Rooms. These interfaces are Salesforce, Skype for Business and Slack.
New generation conference rooms are compatible with touch monitors and whiteboards. But which are the benefits? As Zoom Rooms pursue the idea of providing more face-to-face interactions between participants, touch screens and whiteboards offer a greater collaborative interface.
Participants can directly interact with whiteboards, which don’t require any previous software configuration. Making even easier the setup process and reducing the cost in other hardware devices because this technology comes with a 4K wide-angle camera, directional microphones, and a LED Touchscreen.
Touch displays are suitable for team working and brainstorming sessions. Mainly because Zoom Rooms technology allows participants to save their conference room’s ideas as an image and send it for later purposes. Also, allowing them to write on the screen at the same time (up to 3 users), while other participants can join remotely to co-annotate on the touch monitor.
- DTEN D7 55” All-in-one solution with 4K wide-angle camera, 2160p, 16 directional microphones, LED Monitor Touchscreen and included one technological pen.
However, with Zoom Rooms technology we can make phone calls by firstly opening the platform, tap the phone icon located on the main menu. Then, select the flag icon and choose the country from where we’re going to talk.
Traditional Conference Room vs. Zoom Room
Other things to consider
As we explained before, to start using Zoom Room software, we must choose between different licenses and purchase the one that goes more with our ideals.
Zoom Pro License Characteristics
- Ideal for small groups.
- Unlimited meeting duration for all meeting sizes
- Allows 1 to 49 hosts
- Includes 100 participants
- 24 hours meeting duration
- User management and admin feature controls
- Custom Personal Meeting ID
- Schedule meeting assigner
- 1GB of MP4 or M4A cloud recording
- REST API
- Skype for Business (Lync) interoperability
Zoom Enterprise License Characteristics
- Ideal for a large conference and training rooms (with a minimum of 50 hosts)
- Includes all the specifications of Zoom Pro plus:
- Up to 1,000 participants
- Unlimited Cloud Storage
- Dedicated Customer Success Manager
- Executive Business Reviews
- Bundle discounts on Webinars and Zoom Rooms
Zoom Rooms are increasingly versatile and necessary, enabled to manage business communication systems in one touch efficiently. With easy-to-use software, Zoom Rooms enable the proper integration of collaborative tools, empowering video conferencing.
An effective communication performance transforms business processes: less time for meetings, training, and projects because we can communicate with anyone, anywhere, anytime. It also allows better relationships between participants, apprentices, and teammates, achieving higher
productivity and better business processes.
Zoom Rooms have been created to facilitate video conference, unifying technological procedures to enhance interaction and collaboration in multiple endpoints, including mobile devices, desktops, and H.323/SIP conference systems.